Sunday, May 11, 2008

I know I am Rich

Millionaire? But I Earn only Few Hundreds Bucks...How I can save?

For me, this is a tough subject. Many people may ask me, how I can save when I earn little. Just enough to survive for another month. Have to pay bills, mortgages, unexpected and urgent payments and emergencies.

To be honest, I cannot answer this query with satisfactory explanation even to myself. This is mainly because I have no experience having so little money at any particular period of time. My life is a blessing and I am very thankful to God. This does not mean that I am coming from a rich family. But the opportunity and money is not something that I have to worry about. To illustrate this, let me tell my story.

Do you remember when is the first time you feel rich? I do. I start to feel that I live rich when I started university life. Rich is a relative perception. I refer to being rich is equal to having a calm and peaceful mind, having not to worry about money excessively. Every month, I meet my ends and needs.

By end of each month, I knew that there will be money in my bank account. It is not much, 240 pounds from the scholarships ( I was in Manchester that time). It is enough to eat and buy clothes. But the main factor how I survive was because I live below my own mean. I am not used to buy expensive clothing, perfume or concert tickets. The only things I spent my money on were books and electronics. I waited for boxing day to buy a nice jacket at at least 50% discount. I waited for summer and winter sale. I used online to buy cheaper books and electronics. I walked and cycled to university rather than took the bus. I brought home made sandwich and water for lunch. I did not make impulse purchases. I will wait for months to buy a camera just to find the cheapest deal and slowly save money for the item.

In young man's world, there are only two reason that messing our life. First is money, and second one is 'girl'. If I have a gilfriend, I will not buy her expensive thing. But do many small things that make big impact. Spend money on a romantic picnic at nearby park in easter rather go to expensive restaurant for dinner. Give her a cute little teddy when you are away rather buying her expensive necklace. Or start with a right choice, find girl with 'less maintenance'..Hehe.. unless u were born rich.

No comments: