Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Modern Saving and Piggybank



I find it is interesting to learn the concept of 'piggybank'. Piggy bank is the traditional name of a coin accumulation and storage container, most often used by children.

During my childhood, I did not have any piggybank to save my money. Instead of yellow piggy clay, I saved my coin in a 'tabung buluh'. Tabung buluh is basically a bamboo which has been cut with certain length to become a container. A small slot is made by using saw to insert coin into the bamboo. However, the concept is the same. Children need to break the piggybank or the bamboo to retrieve the money they have saved.

The modern saving scheme should act the same way. Imagine a unit trust is like a piggybank. I can only deposit money in it. Leave it and wait. Only break it after it is full. This lesson is simple, which we have learnt many years ago.


No comments: