Sunday, August 3, 2008

Car Purchase and My Experience

The very first car that I purchased was an Audi registered in year 1989. I don’t really remember which model is that. It was almost 4 years ago when I was in UK. That summer when I was in Manchester, my friend threw the idea of purchasing a car. It was an instant purchase through E-bay, the best virtual marketplace I had been to. Haha. I miss E-bay.

Anyway, the car was around 550 pounds. Since we were working as domestic assistant (or in layman term ‘cleaner’) every summer, we managed to save quite lot of money. We bought the car on Friday night. Then, we purchased one way bus ticket to Heathrow, London to pick up the car. The bus left at around 2 or 3 o’clock in the morning, so we arrived in Heathrow around 8am. We met the seller, and drove the car back to Manchester. The journey should not take more than 4 hours of driving. However, with extra cautious, my friend drove slowly and reached home 6 months afterwards..opsss..not 6 months lar, 6 hours.... Haha..I feel hilarious to think all these good memories when I was a student.

However, the car’s life span was not long. About a month after that, my friend involved in an accident and the car was badly damaged beyond repairable. We sent the car to scrap yard with 50 pounds penalty. Yes, we need to pay to dispose this piece of metal. However, I was really grateful that my friend was fine and escaped with no injury.

That was my first car, jointly owned with my other friend.

When I started my career, I made a wish to buy car for my family. My dad drove Nissan Sunny 130Y which was more than 20 years old already. I want to buy him a more reliable and safer car.

And about two months ago, I bought him a new Toyota Vios. At first, I want to buy a second hand Honda City or Toyota Vios, but after visiting Toyota showroom, I fell in love with new Toyota Vios. I am looking for a car which is spacious and economical.

At first, I want to delay the purchase. And with petrol price was rising recently, I felt that I need to postpone my plan. However, after much consideration, I don’t think this is the right thing to do since I had promised Dad I will buy him car real soon.

The loan agreement went well and we got the car in 10 days.

I still remember the tips that I learned from my reading about car purchase;

+ For first car, better to get second hand, low cc, cheaper car, low monthly installment or buy cash if possible. As a fresh graduate, this is an important step to liberate cash for other purposes especially career related. After few years, buy my dream car when I already have stable job and work experience. If possible, use public transport to commute to work place.

No comments: